San Jose East High School for Science and Technology
Over the next 20 years automation will drastically reduce or eliminate low skilled jobs but will add high skilled jobs to Silicon Valley. In order to compete in a global market for high skilled jobs, the next generation of East Side San Jose children will need a high school that can put them ahead of other peers in terms of science and technology.
The goal of this petition is to transform the W. C. Overfelt high school into San Jose East High School for Science and Technology open to all students in ESUHSD boundaries through a competitive test.
The reasons for choosing W. C. Overfelt high school are:
1. Centralized location for ESUHSD students.
2. It has around 350 students per class which seems to be the right class size for such a magnet high school.
3. Dispersed students won't have issue getting absorbed into neighboring schools. Six other high schools surround W. C. Overfelt high school.
4. Proximity to highly impacted overcrowded ESUHSD schools.
San Jose East High School for Science and Technology (SJEHSST)
Education of 21st century should be able to generate students capable of handling highly skilled jobs. The mission of San Jose East High School for Science and Technology is to provide students with a challenging learning environment focused on math, science, and technology, to inspire joy at the prospect of discovery, and to foster a culture of innovation based on ethical behavior and the shared interests of humanity.
We believe in:
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Global interdependence, multiple languages, systems and diverse cultures.
- Literature, music and the arts.
- Research that stems from a combination of fundamental knowledge, individual creativity and curiosity.
- Effective communication that is often the only difference between a good idea and a successful initiative.
- Collaborative learning, athletics, and extracurricular activities that develop leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Responsibility and integrity that are core principles in the pursuit of excellence.
- Everlasting Learning.
The following will be the SJEHSST requirements to the freshman admissions process.
1. Residency Requirements
All applicants to SJEHSST must, at the time of application, live with a parent or legal guardian who resides full time in, and meets the residency requirements of, a ESUHSD school.
The applicant and the parent/legal guardian must actually reside (be present) in the participating school division at the time of application. If you own property here, but do not actually live here, you are not eligible to apply to SJEHSST unless and until you actually reside here.
It is a violation of California law to make false statements concerning the residency of a child for purposes of enrollment in a school outside of the attendance zone in which the student resides.
2. Math Requirements
- Some form of math requirement need to be there as a prerequisite for eligibility to sit in written test but can be waived for the first 3 or 4 years.
3.Grade Point Average (GPA)
All applicants to SJEHSST, at the completion of 7th grade, must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in order to be eligible to apply. This can also be waived for the first 3 or 4 years.
If eligible to apply, candidate will be required to complete the SJEHSST Admissions Online Application, Take the SJEHSST Admissions Test
To be done.
For Students who qualify written test and shortlisted:
To be decided later but on the following template.
- Provide an Essay
- Submit two teacher recommendations